Requirements: 24 PDH biennially based on date of initial licensure. Of the 24 PDH, at least 13 PDH must be HSW related.
All 24 hours can be taken in online courses. The Tennessee State Board of Architectural and Engineering Examiners does not pre-approve continuing education courses or providers.
The Board will grant credit for only such continuing education activities that satisfy the following criteria:
- There is clear purpose and objective for each activity which will maintain, improve or expand skills and knowledge obtained prior to initial licensure or to develop new and relevant skills and knowledge.
- The content of each presentation is well organized and presented in a sequential manner.
- There is evidence of pre-planning.
- The presentation will be made by persons who are well qualified by education or experience.
Continuing education activities for which credit may be given by the Board include, but are not limited to the following:
- Successful completion or monitoring of college or university sponsored courses;
- Successful completion of courses which are awarded continuing education units (CEU’s);
- Attendance at seminars, tutorials, short courses, correspondence courses, televised courses or videotaped courses;
- Attendance at in-house programs sponsored by corporations or other organizations;
- Teaching or instructing as described in (a) through (d) above, unless teaching or instructing is the registrant’s regular employment;
- Authoring published papers, articles or books;
- Making presentations at technical meetings;
- Attendance at program presentations at related technical or professional meetings where program content is comprised of at least one (1) PDH.
All such activities as described in (a) through (h) above must be relevant to the practice of architecture, as determined by the Board and may include technical, ethical or managerial content.
Professional Development Hours of credit for qualifying courses successfully completed which offer semester hour, quarter hour, or CEU credit are as specified above. All other activities will be credited one PDH for each contact hour with the following exceptions:
- Monitoring of university or college courses will be credited at one-third (1/3) the above-stated conversion table.
- Teaching or instructing qualifying courses or seminars will be credited at twice the PDH’s earned by a participating student and may be claimed for credit only once.
- Authorship of papers, articles or books cannot be claimed until actually published. Credit earned will equal preparation time spent not to exceed twenty-five (25) PDH’s per publication.
- Correspondence course PDH’s may be considered acceptable to the Board, but the registrant shall submit, upon request, supporting documentation to demonstrate high quality course content.
Board website: http://www.tn.gov/regboards/ae
Tennessee Architect Frequently Asked Questions
I’m an AIA member. Do you report my continuing education hours to the AIA?
Yes. We report all continuing education hours to the AIA after you complete your continuing education with us, if you are an AIA member.
Do you report my results to the Tennessee Board?
The way it works in Tennessee, you will renew your license and check the box letting them know you completed your mandatory architect continuing education. If the board audits you, they will ask you to provide your certificates of completion for your architect continuing education courses.
Do you offer any architect continuing education training that is not online or correspondence?
We offer online and correspondence continuing education to renew your Tennessee architect license. We do not offer any classroom continuing education courses for Tennessee architects. We find that most students prefer to complete their continuing education online on their computer, smartphone, or tablet – or out of our course booklet.
Do you provide me with a certificate of completion when I finish your continuing education course?
Yes, all graduates of our Tennessee architect continuing education course will receive a certificate of completion. We can either email, mail, or fax the certificate to you.
What if I still have questions about completing my Tennessee architect continuing education courses?
No problem. Just call our continuing education specialists at (888)564-9098 or email us at email@example.com .