Requirements: 30 PDH biennially based on date of issuance.
Of the 30 PDH, at least a minimum of 20 PDH must be in technical subjects that directly safeguard the public’s health, safety and welfare. A maximum of 10 PDH may be in professional management subjects such as total quality process or ethics.
Dual Licensees must earn a minimum 10 PDH in each profession with a total of 30 PDH every two years. A dual licensee is not required to obtain more than 30 PDH because of dual licenses.
All 30 hours can be taken in online courses. The South Dakota Board of Technical Profession does not pre-approve continuing education courses or providers.
- Completing or attending courses, seminars, instruction, in-house programs or training which relates to the licensee’s professional practice.
- Attending technical or professional society meetings when a topic related to the licensee’s professional practice is presented as a principal part of the program.
- Teaching a course for the first time or if substantial time has been spent in updating material if previously taught.
- Attending satellite down-link video courses where attendance is verified and material meets requirements
- Computer software instructional courses which relate to the improvement of the licensee’s business or profession.
- Language course which relate to the improvement of one’s business or profession.
- Management or ethical courses which relate to the improvement of one’s business or profession.
- Correspondence courses and computer on-line courses on topics related to licensee’s professional practice where lessons are prepared and returned for correction and/or grading and testing at the end of the course is required.
Board website: http://dlr.sd.gov/bdcomm/btp/architects.aspx
South Dakota Architect Frequently Asked Questions
I’m an AIA member. Do you report my continuing education hours to the AIA?
Yes. We report all continuing education hours to the AIA after you complete your continuing education with us, if you are an AIA member.
Do you report my results to the South Dakota Board?
The way it works in South Dakota, you will renew your license and check the box letting them know you completed your mandatory architect continuing education. If the board audits you, they will ask you to provide your certificates of completion for your architect continuing education courses.
Do you offer any architect continuing education training that is not online or correspondence?
We offer online and correspondence continuing education to renew your South Dakota architect license. We do not offer any classroom continuing education courses for South Dakota architects. We find that most students prefer to complete their continuing education online on their computer, smartphone, or tablet – or out of our course booklet.
Do you provide me with a certificate of completion when I finish your continuing education course?
Yes, all graduates of our South Dakota architect continuing education course will receive a certificate of completion. We can either email, mail, or fax the certificate to you.
What if I still have questions about completing my South Dakota architect continuing education courses?
No problem. Just call our continuing education specialists at (888)564-9098 or email us at email@example.com .