Top Menu

New Mexico Architects

Requirements: 12 hours annually due December 31st.

All 12 hours required in this cycle must be in Health, Safety and Welfare.

All hours can be taken in online courses. The State of NM Board of Examiners for Architects does not pre-approve education courses or providers.

Course Info:

The following list shall be used by all registrants in determining the types of activities that would fulfill continuing education requirements:

  1. Contact hours in attendance at short courses or seminars dealing with architectural subjects and sponsored by academic institutions.
  2. Contact hours in attendance at technical presentations on architectural subjects which are held in conjunction with conventions or at seminars related to materials use and functions. Such presentations as those sponsored by the American Institute of Architects, Construction Specifications Institute, Construction Products Manufacturers Council or similar organizations devoted to architectural education may qualify.
  3. Contact hours in attendance at short courses or seminars related to business practice or new technology and offered by colleges, universities, professional organizations or system suppliers.
  4. Contact hours spent in self-study courses such as those sponsored by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, American Institute of Architects or similar organizations.
  5. up to three preparation hours may be credited for each class hour spent teaching architectural courses or seminars; college or university faculty may not claim credit for teaching regular curriculum courses;
  6. contact hours spent in architectural research that is published or formally presented to the profession or public;
  7. college or university credit courses dealing with architectural subjects or business practice; each semester hour shall equal fifteen (15) contact hours; a quarter hour shall equal ten (10) contact hours;
  8. contact hours spent in professional service to the public or profession on boards, commissions or committees that draws upon the registrant’s professional expertise, such as: serving on planning commissions, building code advisory boards, urban renewal boards, professional boards or committees or code study committees; except as allowable by law, all services must be provided pro bono;
  9. a maximum of eight (8) contact hours biennially for architectural services donated to charitable, religious, educational or other public or private non-profit organization, as defined under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, organized for the benefit of the general public;
  10. mentoring: A maximum of eight (8) contact hours biennially may be acquired for serving as a mentor for the intern development program (IDP) or the A.R.E. study sessions; alternatively, a maximum of eight (8) contact hours may be acquired for serving as mentor for student/intern architectural projects that benefit the general public;
  11. contact hours spent in educational tours of architecturally significant buildings, where the tour is sponsored by a college, university or professional organization and the presentation content is designed for architect participants.

Board website:


New Mexico Architect Frequently Asked Questions

I’m an AIA member. Do you report my continuing education hours to the AIA?

Yes. We report all continuing education hours to the AIA after you complete your continuing education with us, if you are an AIA member.

Do you report my results to the New Mexico Board?

The way it works in New Mexico, you will renew your license and check the box letting them know you completed your mandatory architect continuing education. If the board audits you, they will ask you to provide your certificates of completion for your architect continuing education courses.

Do you offer any architect continuing education training that is not online or correspondence?

We offer online and correspondence continuing education to renew your New Mexico architect license. We do not offer any classroom continuing education courses for New Mexico architects. We find that most students prefer to complete their continuing education online on their computer, smartphone, or tablet – or out of our course booklet.

Do you provide me with a certificate of completion when I finish your continuing education course?

Yes, all graduates of our New Mexico architect continuing education course will receive a certificate of completion. We can either email, mail, or fax the certificate to you.

What if I still have questions about completing my New Mexico architect continuing education courses?

No problem. Just call our continuing education specialists at (888)564-9098 or email us at .