Requirements: 24 hours by December 1st odd years. A minimum of 16 hours must be HSW related
All 24 hours can be taken in online courses. The Board accepts courses registered with the AIA.
The following types of activities may qualify to fulfill the requirements for a minimum of sixteen (16) contact hours to be acquired in structured educational activities (all 24 hours may be acquired in such activities):
- Contact hours in attendance at short courses or seminars dealing with architectural or landscape architectural subjects and sponsored by college or universities.
- Contact hours in attendance at presentations on architectural or landscape architectural subjects that are held in conjunction with meetings, conferences, or conventions of architect or landscape architect professional organizations recognized by the board to the extent that contact hours are credited only to that portion of the meeting, conference, or convention that comprises the educational program.
- Contact hours in attendance at short courses or seminars relating to professional practice or new technology and offered by colleges, universities, professional organizations, or system suppliers.
- Teaching or instructing an architectural or landscape architectural course, seminar, lecture, presentation, or workshop shall constitute three (3) contact hours for each hour spent in the actual presentation. Teaching credit shall be valid for the initial presentation only. A maximum of nine (9) hours may be accumulated over a two (2) year licensure period.
- Contact hours spent in architectural or landscape architectural research that is published or is formally presented to the profession or public. A maximum of nine (9) total contact hours may be accumulated over the two (2) year licensure period.
- Successfully completing structured architectural or landscape architectural self-study courses, presented by correspondence, Internet, television, video, or audio, ending with an examination or other verification process. The contact hours acquired for this activity shall be established by the program sponsor.
- College or university credit courses dealing with architectural or landscape architectural subjects. Each academic semester hour shall equal fifteen (15) contact hours. Each academic quarterly hour shall equal ten (10) contact hours.
- Contact hours spent in educational tours of architecturally or landscape architecturally significant projects, where the tour is sponsored by a college, university, professional organization, or system supplier. A maximum of eight (8) total contact hours may be accumulated over the two (2) year licensure period.
- Contact hours spent in professional services to the public that draw upon the licensee’s professional architectural or landscape architectural expertise on boards and commissions, such as, serving on any of the following:
(A) Planning commissions.
(B) Building code advisory boards.
(C) Urban renewal boards.
(D) Code study committees.
(E) Regulatory boards.
(F) Professional accreditation teams.
Board website: http://www.in.gov/pla/architect.htm
Indiana Architect Frequently Asked Questions
I’m an AIA member. Do you report my continuing education hours to the AIA?
Yes. We report all continuing education hours to the AIA after you complete your continuing education with us, if you are an AIA member.
Do you report my results to the Indiana Board?
The way it works in Indiana, you will renew your license and check the box letting them know you completed your mandatory architect continuing education. If the board audits you, they will ask you to provide your certificates of completion for your architect continuing education courses.
Do you offer any architect continuing education training that is not online or correspondence?
We offer online and correspondence continuing education to renew your Indiana architect license. We do not offer any classroom continuing education courses for Indiana architects. We find that most students prefer to complete their continuing education online on their computer, smartphone, or tablet – or out of our course booklet.
Do you provide me with a certificate of completion when I finish your continuing education course?
Yes, all graduates of our Indiana architect continuing education course will receive a certificate of completion. We can either email, mail, or fax the certificate to you.
What if I still have questions about completing my Indiana architect continuing education courses?
No problem. Just call our continuing education specialists at (888)564-9098 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .