Recent Technology Advances in Architecture
February 8, 2024 @ 11:30 am - 12:30 pm CST$35.00
It wasn’t that long ago that architectural design and drafting depended entirely on the mind and the hands of designers. It was only in the 1970’s that CAD programs gave designers and technicians the ability to produce 2D designs that were equivalent to drafts previously drawn by hand. It would take another two decades before architects would actually accept computers as integral tools in the practice of architecture. Now computers not only perform drafting tasks but also assist and even lead in design decisions. In addition to preconstruction design, this course will also show how computers can aid architects to monitor activities during construction to ensure design compliance, scheduling, safety as well as postconstruction analysis.
- Describe the evolution of design processes using computer-aided design and building information modeling.
- Explain how LiDAR 3D scanning can benefit the architect.
- Explore design decision making using algorithmic, parametric, and generative design.
- Define artificial intelligence (AI) and how it is being used in architecture today.
- Consider how AI might influence the practice of architecture in the future.
Learning Units: 1 LU
AIA Course Number: AIAPDH517