Transmission and generation facilities need protection from events that can cause electrical or physical damage. Transmission facilities need protection from events that cause faults (short circuits on the line) and generation facilities need protection from events that can cause overheating or overspeed. This course will explain the various protection techniques used to keep the transmission and generation systems operating for unforeseen events.
- Understand the purpose of power system relaying
- Understand the objective of power system equipment protection
- Understand the impact of power system relaying on system reliability
- Be presented with the concepts of certain relaying schemes, including:
- Differential relaying
- Distance (Zone 1 and Zone 2)
Hours: 1 LU hour