Requirements: Licensees are required to complete 16 hours of continuing education (CE) during the two-year license period immediately prior to the expiration date of the license.
Additional hours over 16 hours shall not be valid for subsequent reinstatement.
Licensees shall maintain records of completion of CE used to renew a license for three years from the date of expiration of the license. Licensees shall provide those records to the board or its authorized agents upon request.
CE activities completed by licensees may be accepted by the board provided the activity:
- Consists of content and subject matter related to the practice of the profession;
- Has a clear purpose and objective that will maintain, improve, or expand the skills and knowledge relevant to the licensee’s area of practice and may be in areas related to business practices, including project management, risk management, and ethics, that have demonstrated relevance to the licensee’s area of practice as defined in § 54.1-400 of the Code of Virginia;
- Is taught by instructors who are competent in the subject matter, either by education or experience, for those activities involving an interaction with an instructor;
- If self-directed, contains an assessment by the sponsor at the conclusion of the activity that verifies that the licensee has successfully achieved the purpose and objective of the activity; and
- Results in documentation that verifies the licensee’s successful completion of the activity.
Board Website: Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation