PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT REQUIRMENTS:
As a condition for renewal of a Certificate of Registration for the Practice of Land Surveying in Nebraska, all actively registered professional land surveyors are required to successfully complete 30 hours of professional development within the preceding 2 calendar years. Any certificate holder who completes in excess of 30 hours of professional development within the preceding 2 calendar years may have the excess, not to exceed 15 hours, applied to the next biennium. All Professional Development Hours (PDHs) must be obtained during the time the professional land surveyor’s registration has been active. Professional Development Hours specifically for compliance with paragraph 008. of this chapter and/or paragraph 013. of Chapter 4 will not apply to the biennial conditions for renewal and will only be counted toward those specific purposes exclusively.
Professional Development Hours (PDHs) are credited based upon the following list:
- FULL TIME TEACHING The active full-time teaching of land surveying as defined by the Land Surveyors Regulation Act, at the college level within the immediately preceding 2 calendar years shall be counted as 3 PDHs per calendar year. Partial fulfillment of a calendar year in this rule will not be counted. Maximum credit of 6 PDHs in this category in any renewal period.
- MEMBERSHIP IN SOCIETIES Membership in a local, regional, state or national society which is directly related to the practice of land surveying shall be counted as 1 PDH per society per calendar year with a maximum credit of 4 PDHs in this category in any renewal period.
- EXAMINING BOARD MEMBERS Serving as a member of a board or commission which has as its primary duty the registration and review of professional land surveyors, such as a state board of registration, shall be counted as 1 PDH per calendar year.
- EXAMINATION COMMITTEE MEMBER Serving as a member of a committee of a board or commission which has as its primary duty the preparation and grading of written tests which are given for the purpose of determining the proficiency of an applicant for registration as a professional land surveyor shall be counted as 5 PDHs per calendar year.
- CONFERENCE/SIMINAR ORGANIZATION Organizing a conference or seminar with a duration of a minimum of 4 hours which is directly related to land surveying shall be counted as 1.5 PDHs per conference or seminar.
- WORKSHOP/SEMINAR ATTENDANCE Attendance at a workshop, conference, or seminar which is directly related to land surveying shall be counted as 1 PDH per actual hour of attendance. “Attendance at” includes participation on a live interactive video conference. Such sessions must be certified by the sponsoring organization, planned in advance, and a record maintained describing the content.
- WORKSHOP/SEMINAR TEACHING Teaching at a workshop, conference, or seminar which is directly related to land surveying shall be counted as 2 PDHs per actual hour of teaching time, not to include any preparation time.
- COLLEGE LEVEL COURSES College level courses directly related to land surveying shall be counted as 30 PDHs per credit hour.
- NON-COLLEGE LEVE COURSES Non-college level extension or correspondence courses which are directly related to land surveying shall be counted as 15 PDHs per credit hour.
- PRESENTATION OR PUBLICATION OF A PAPERPublication of and/or presentation at a technical meeting of a professional paper, authored by the writer or presenter, directly related to land surveying shall be counted as 5 PDHs per professional paper. The maximum allowable under this paragraph is 15 PDHs in any renewal period.
- ON-LINE/CORRESPONDENCE COURSES Completion of “on-line” correspondence, televised, videotaped, audiotaped and other non-interactive or pre-recorded short courses/tutorials shall be counted as 1 PDH per actual hour of attendance. An exam is required for completion unless attendance is documented. The maximum allowable under this paragraph is 15 PDHs in any renewal period.
- ETHICS AND/OR NEBRASKA LAND SURVEYING REGULATION ACT COURSES Completion of a minimum of 2 hours of Professional Development in an ethics course or a course on the Nebraska Land Surveyors Regulation Act is required for each renewal period. This course may be “on-line” or in person and is counted toward any previously established maximum described above.
Board Website: https://nbels.nebraska.gov/index.html