Requirement: 24 hours due June 30th even years.
All 24 hours must be HSW related. All 24 hours can be taken in online courses. The Board does not approve continuing education providers or courses.
Dual license or certificate holders who have obtained a license or certificate for two professions must earn professional development hours required by the license or certificate requiring the greatest number of professional development hours and must obtain in each profession a minimum of one-third of the total professional development hours required. The remaining one-third requirement may be obtained in either profession at the sole discretion of the licensee or certificate holder.
Continuing education must consist of learning experiences which enhance and expand the skills, knowledge, and abilities of practicing professionals to remain current and render competent professional services to the public. Practitioners may pursue technical, nontechnical, regulatory, ethical, and business practice needs for a well-rounded education provided the education directly benefits the health, safety, or welfare of the public. Continuing education activities which satisfy the professional development requirement include, but are not limited to, the following:
- completing or auditing college-sponsored courses;
- completing self-study college or non-college-sponsored courses, presented by correspondence, Internet, television, video, or audio, ending with examination or other verification processes;
- participation in seminars, tutorials, televised or videotaped courses, or short courses;
- attending self-sponsored and prepared in-house educational programs;
- completing a study tour with a structured program resulting in a written or visual presentation by the licensee or certificate holder;
- presenting or instructing qualifying courses or seminars. Professional development hours may be earned for preparation time for the initial presentation;
- authoring published papers, articles, or books. Professional development hours earned may equal preparation time spent, may be claimed only following publication, and shall be given for authorship or presentation, but not for both;
- participating in professional examination grading or writing. A maximum of five professional development hours per biennium may be applied from this source;
- providing professional service to the public which draws upon the licensee’s or certificate holder’s professional expertise on boards, commissions, and committees such as planning commissions, building code advisory boards, urban renewal boards, or non-work-related volunteer service. A maximum of ten professional development hours per biennium may be applied from this source; and
- patents, after they are granted, for a credit of ten professional development hours.
Board website: http://mn.gov/aelslag
Minnesota Architect Frequently Asked Questions
I’m an AIA member. Do you report my continuing education hours to the AIA?
Yes. We report all continuing education hours to the AIA after you complete your continuing education with us, if you are an AIA member.
Do you report my results to the Minnesota Board?
The way it works in Minnesota, you will renew your license and check the box letting them know you completed your mandatory architect continuing education. If the board audits you, they will ask you to provide your certificates of completion for your architect continuing education courses.
Do you offer any architect continuing education training that is not online or correspondence?
We offer online and correspondence continuing education to renew your Minnesota architect license. We do not offer any classroom continuing education courses for Minnesota architects. We find that most students prefer to complete their continuing education online on their computer, smartphone, or tablet – or out of our course booklet.
Do you provide me with a certificate of completion when I finish your continuing education course?
Yes, all graduates of our Minnesota architect continuing education course will receive a certificate of completion. We can either email, mail, or fax the certificate to you.
What if I still have questions about completing my Minnesota architect continuing education courses?
No problem. Just call our continuing education specialists at (888)564-9098 or email us at email@example.com .